Competent and innovative therapist/educator with extensive cross cultural experience in the mental health field. Effective organizer, leader, and motivator with an exceptional ability to build rapport with clients and students.
• M.A. Counseling (Licensed Professional Track-Mental Health Counseling) New Mexico Highlands University, State University of New Mexico
• (National Board Certified Counselor #56600
• Special Education Teacher Certification Georgian Court University, New Jersey
• B.A. Self-designed, State approved in Holistic Health Education Stockton State College, NJ
• Environmental Health Sciences Certifications @ Rutgers the State University of New Jersey
• Primary Health Care Certification @ Johns Hopkins School of Public Health& Hygiene
• Disaster Response Crisis Counselor
• REBT-Rationale Emotive Behavioral Therapy Advanced Practitioner Certification NYC
Chronological Work Experiences (2010-present)
• Independent Consultant to Chinese-American Adventure Sports Companies. (2012-2014)
• Ocean Lifeguard/ trainer for Belmar, NJ Ocean Lifeguards. (summers 2010-present)
• Youth Build USA Elizabeth, NJ Grant funded Educator for Science & Math for G.E.D. program for paroled young people ages 18-21. (2011- 2012)
• The PuraVida Project.org a 501C3 Not For Profit Corporation. Educational consultant for various international community building projects for area youth at risk. (2011- 2012)
• Starting Point Behavior Health Yulee, Florida Therapist (2015)
* Yulee School Substitute Teacher (2016)
K-12 School & Community Counselor- International School of Bali, Indonesia. (2008-2010)
• Worked with students, parents, staff, and community (local and European) addressing emotional, social and academic issues, while counseling an International community of multicultural families.
• Implemented S.E.L. Curriculum across grades 1-12 resulting in diminished (38%) administrative behavioral referrals
Counselor and Special Education Teacher @ Bend La Pine Public School District. Bend, Oregon (1998-2008)
• Developed, designed, and implemented developmentally and population appropriate researched based programming for specific client population.
• Worked with multi agency team: juvenile justice, county mental health, school district, community counselors… addressed treatment plans, and IEP’s.
• Developed and implemented experiential education model incorporating elements of: Outward Bound Expeditionary Learning Model, Reality Therapy, Rationale Emotive Behavioral Therapy, Narrative Therapy, Music Therapy, (Remo Health RHYTHMS), arts, and basic vocational - basic auto mechanics, construction, welding.
Crossroads Counseling, Consulting, and Mentoring (2008-2010)
Private practice counseling and educational consulting in Bend, Oregon.
• Specialized in: family therapy for families with special needs children, and treatment for oppositional adolescent young men.
Mental Health Counselor, New Mexico Highlands University counseling clinic Las Vegas, New Mexico (96-97)
• Counseled multi-cultural populations: Native American, Hispanic, Chicano and local residents in University Counseling Clinic while accruing hours for NCC. Majority of counseling was for substance abuse issues, domestic and gang violence.
M.S. & H.S. Learning Resource Center Educator International School of Kenya (94-96)
• Resource team member focusing on adaptive strategies to assure targeted students were receiving appropriate support and strategies to assure academic and emotional success. Development and implementation of university planning for special needs students.
Oakwood School, NJ Special Education Teacher (1991-1994)
• IEP development and implementation, experiential learning activities, trips… for SED adolescent populations removed from public school to more restrictive environment.
Environmental Health &Safety Educator North American Environmental N.Y.C. (90-91)
• Designed, implemented, and taught corporate and contractor Environmental Health & Safety Courses.
• Implemented and monitored hazardous waste site safety plans for environmental contracting companies.
Senior Program Director/Camp Director L.A. Y.M.C.A. (85-90)
• Management and administration of three camps in the Sierras which served 22 different and distinct Los Angeles area communities and schools.
• Management and administration of camps. Staff-hiring, training and management. Program development and implementation. Implemented International Camp Counselor Program to assure multicultural agenda.
Ocean Lifeguard seasonal, NJ & FL.
US Forest Service Seasonal Recreation Ranger, Forest Fire Fighter (89)
Counselor Monmouth County Juvenile Shelter, N.J (84)
Special Education Teacher @ Rugby School S.E.D. adolescent males Wall, NJ (84)
Primary Health Care Worker U.S. Peace Corp Volunteer Fiji (82)
H.S. General Biology Teacher Bayonne, N.J (81)
Copyright © John Mahoney MA, NCC (National Certified Counselor #56600) - 2016 | All Rights Reserved.